Henrich Insurance Group

You've filed a claim with your insurance company.

What do you do next? 

First, be sure that your agent has on file a phone number where you can be reached, especially if your home was damaged to the extent that you are no longer living there. Then, while you await a phone call from an adjuster—either an insurance company employee or an independent contractor hired by the insurer—there are a number of steps you can take to prepare for the adjuster’s visit. If you are unable to return to your home stay in touch with your adjuster and notify him/her as soon as access is available to your property. Please be advised that additional living expenses are not covered under the Standard Flood Insurance policy.

Do Not! Throw anything away until the adjuster comes to inspect the damage.

  • As soon as it is safe to visit the property, photograph both the outside and inside so that you will have a record of the damage and the height of the water. Photograph or videotape all damaged possessions as well.
  • Remove standing water and dry the area as soon as possible. Move water-soaked items to a dry, well-ventilated area. If you must remove the items outdoors, put them in a secure area to protect them from theft.
  • If you have already prepared a thorough, detailed list of your home’s contents, now is the time to update it. If you have not done so, take an inventory of all your items now, separating the damaged from the undamaged.
  • If some things are too damaged to save and may pose a health hazard, such as soaked carpeting or drapes, be sure to save a swatch of the fabric for the adjuster.
  • It is a good idea to have receipts for any items of value, as this helps the adjuster establish their current worth. It is also a good idea to have readily available the model and serial numbers of any damaged appliances or electronic gear. The better and more detailed your records, the faster the claim can be settled.
  • You may want to get a contractor’s estimate of what it will cost to repair the damage even before the adjuster arrives. If you do, be sure to provide the contractor’s quote to the adjuster so that it can be considered in preparing the insurer’s estimate.
  • When the adjuster arrives, the claim can be processed more quickly if the two of you can agree right away on the “scope of the damage,” that is, exactly what needs to be repaired or replaced, without arriving at a dollar amount.
  • Depending on the complexity of the claim, a settlement can sometimes be made on the first visit. If a full settlement cannot be made at that time, often an adjuster can supply an advance or partial payment.
  • If you have a question or problem with flood insurance issues, visit one of the Disaster Recovery Centers that have been set up in your area to talk to a flood specialist.
  • If your damaged property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area, be sure to contact your local building officials before starting any repairs or rebuilding to be sure you will be in compliance with flood zone ordinances.
  • If you choose to use a remediation contractor, please be aware that all charges they include are not reimbursable under flood policy.
  • If you DO NOT have flood insurance you can file for assistance at www.disasterassistance.gov Registering online is the quickest way to register for FEMA assistance. If you do not have access, you may register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).

    Flood policy resources: The NFIP Claims Handbook may be a helpful resource, as well as the NFIP Summary of Coverage and After the flood factsheet. You may reference your NFIP policy forms at the link.

    Share |

    No Comments

    Post a Comment
    Required (Not Displayed)

    All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
    Submission Validation
    Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
    Enter the Validation Code from above.
    NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
    Blog Archive
    • 2018
    • 2017
    • 2016
    • 2015
    • 2014
    • 2013
    • 2012
    • 2011
    • 2010

    View Mobile Version