You consider your home safe. You take care of it and maintain it. Nevertheless, every year, homeowners claim millions of dollars in insurance because an accident happened.
Accidents range widely but are generally incidents that homeowners could not prevent. In some cases, though, you can reduce risks by taking a few steps now. If you can reduce risks of claims, it is always best to do so.
One of the most common types of damage occurring in the home during a storm is an electrical surge. It occurs when lightning strikes the home. This creates a power surge that can quickly run throughout the electrical system.
During a surge, electrical items may face a virtual melting of their inner components. You may be able to reduce this risk by using power strips with surge protectors installed. It is also a good idea to unplug expensive electronics when you aren't using them or when a storm threatens.
Slips and Falls
Sometimes, a neighbor or visitor may injury themselves in your house. The most common cause of homeowners liability claims are slips and falls. Look for and get rid of common risks such as:
- Carpeting that doesn’t lay flat
- Cords in the middle of a room or walkway
- Debris cluttering paths
- Furniture legs that jut out.
- Moisture on the floor
- Toys on the floor
- Steps that are unsafe and wobbly
Address any potential risk to safeguard your home and your visitors.
Other Common Hazards in the Home
What else is lurking in your home that could become a home insurance claim? Consider these risks.
- Fires and smoke are concerns. Install working fire alarms and smoke detectors throughout your home. Make sure they work every month.
- Carbon monoxide detectors are also important investments because they catch to hard-to-detect risks.
- Child-related risks are a factor. Keep chemicals locked up in the kitchen and bathroom. Empty your trash cans as often as possible and keep their lids secure. Keep pet food and small household objects away for children.
- Don’t forget to look outside. Yard tools and equipment can be very damaging to people and property.
The good news is many home insurance plans provide financial protection for these risks. However, taking precautions now to ensure your home is safe is always important.
It is also important to take a close look at your existing home insurance plan. Make sure it offers comprehensive protection for all of your known and potential risks.
Henrich Insurance Group is here to help you choose the home insurance policy that is right for you. We can help you get the best rates. If you explore our website, you can learn more about our various insurance offerings. Call us today at (713) 349-0400 for the best rates on Texas home insurance.