Fireworks-related injuries are most common on and around holidays associated with fireworks celebrations, especially July 4 and New Year's Eve. The following tips may help ensure your safety with regard to fireworks:
- The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays put on by professionals.
- If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks.
- If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If it is not marked with the contents, directions and a warning label, do not light it.
- Supervise children around fireworks at all times